Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pizza in Trinidad

Next to my apartment in Port of Spain is a large slice of something very familiar, a Pizza Hut. But there is something unusual about this Pizza Hut.



The difference is that it is so big. Of course it sits next to the largest movie screen in the Caribbean, the Digicel Imax theater, so it does seem appropriate. As it turns out, this Pizza Hut is purported to be the largest in the world. According to the story, it used to be a movie theater.

So I went to have dinner Sunday evening. It is large and it was crowded. Approximately eight thousand 8 year olds were there having a raucous birthday party.

Still, since the day I found sauerkraut in my enchiladas in the Netherlands, and the most popular fried chicken place in Oman was the Texas Fried Chicken, I've wondered about the local variations in the menus and sure enough the Pizza Hut in Trinidad didn't disappoint me. Below is a section of the menu that I ordered from:



There are five varieties of Personal Pan Pizza listed; Pepperoni, Vegetarian, Hawaiian, Texas and Santa Fe. The first three are pretty much as you'd expect with the Hawaiian being topped with ham and pineapple. The Texan is just a bit surprising. It's topped with beef and and green peppers. Then there is the Santa Fe which, in keeping with traditional Southwestern cuisine, is topped with Beef and Pineapple... Cause you know those Pueblo Indians, Apaches, Comanches and the Mexicans just love their pineapple. I have to admit it was pretty tasty.

While I could still taste it. On the table was a bottle of Pizza Hut Pepper Sauce which is vaguely green colored and was used as the prototype for acid blood in the movie Alien. This sauce will also eat its way through a formica counter top.