Monday, June 11, 2012

Fine Dining Part 1

Part of the experience in being in a foreign country is the dining and Trinidad is no exception. There are a few oddities that you might notice if you visit. The first is that Kentucky Fried Chicken outnumbers McDonalds about a hundred to one... which by my count is a testimony concerning their tastes. Not that KFC qualifies as fine dining.

Over the course of my stay I will be highlighting some of my visits in the city. Anyone curious to pursue this area more seriously than I will be, should visit Trinichow which is a website by foodies with the focus on de island.

Hakka

Hakka is in its own way typical of the restaurants around here. It has an unassuming exterior being a converted home, has no parking to speak of and serves a curious fusion of Chinese - Indian cuisines. It may be worth noting that Caucasians are the third most populous racial group behind Africans and Indians. Several of us went their for lunch when one of our coworkers decided to move on to another job. Haka is located just a few blocks from my apartment.

The Verandah

Huffington Post pronounced The Verandah the best restaurant in Trinidad and Tobago and they are in fact very good. I'll reserve judgement on the claim of best until I've tried a few more places. Here is the street where "the best restaurant in Trinidad is located. I took this picture early Sunday morning after my visit.
And this is the restaurant itself. You may notice the reoccurrence of the prevailing theme. The restaurant has two main dining areas; the room that used to be the living room and the verandah itself.
The tables were elegantly set and the plant-life that made the porch almost impossible to see from the street makes for a very pleasant setting. (Crummy cell phone picture. I have pictures of the menu... hand written on an easel that the waitress set up next to my table... and my meal but to honest the photos aren't that good. Surprisingly enough the highlight of the meal wasn't the food.
It was the fireworks.

There is a place just a few doors up the street called "The Venue" where they were hosting some kind of celebration with fireworks that took everyone at The Vernadah by surprise. To be honest, when I first heard it, I thought it was gunfire.
My next dining venture will be at a restaurant that many of the expats tell me is actually the best in the city: Buzo Osteria. And it doesn't happen to be in an old house.